Thursday 25 September 2014

Catchin' Up On Things

September 25, 2014

Today, I'm going to play a little out of order, and mix it up a bit. I'm going to back track, and tell you all the things that I did last week since I figured that y'all might be wondering what I was up to. Here goes nothing.

As usual, Tuesday through Thursday, I had classes - which aren't as terrible as they seem. Our London professor who teaches Integrated Studies and Global Drama, Stephe, is pretty awesome. She's laid back, unless you get on her bad side. I mean, come on, most people are always laid back until someone does something to make them mad. Anyways... that's besides the point. Our Millikin professor, Anne, is a lovely woman. She, too, is pretty laid back and fun. Blogging London is helping me stay connected with my family and friends back home who care to know what I'm doing with my time here. I'm interested to see what Anne's other courses are like when they pick up later in the semester. Our classes at Shakespeare's Globe are phenomenal. They do remind me a lot of the Acting courses I took back at Millikin, but I'm still learning so many things I didn't know before. As much as I'm missing home, I'm really happy that I came to London this semester.

On Friday (9/19), we saw The Wolf from The Door at the Royal Court Theatre. It was interesting. It wasn't my favorite show, but I still ended up liking it more than I thought I would. The show had its comedic moments, as well as its dramatic moments. Honestly, I don't have much to say about this show.

Saturday (9/20) was our day trip to Stonehenge and Bath. We departed our flat at 7:30 AM - which wasn't horrible for me because I am a morning person. I will say that both locations were beautiful, but the ride there wasn't my favorite. I'm one to get very motion sick, so being on a bus for about three hours isn't fun. Anyways, Stonehenge was really cool to see. It's amazing how something so old and ritualistic could be identified as a "Wonder of the World". Bath was actually a lot more interesting than I thought. Going in, I didn't exactly know what was in the city of Bath, but I got to see the Ancient Roman bathhouses, which was pretty exciting and amazing to see. I also got to experience my first clotted cream tea in Bath. Basically, you get a small pot of tea, a bun or scone or something, clotted cream, and jam/preserves. I've been told that I need to try cream tea, and I finally did! It was delicious.

Stonehenge 
The Roman Bathhouses in Bath 
Clotted Cream Tea
On Sunday (9/21), I went to a 9 AM Mass at the Brompton Oratory, again. I went in thinking that it was going to be in English, and it ended up being in Latin - but it was still beautiful nonetheless. The rest of the day, me and a few of my good friends went down to Brick Lane. Brick Lane is this good sized street market that sells incredible clothes, art, food, etc. I bought a new dress that I fell in love with, a top that is kind of tourist-y looking (oh well), a canvas painting of the Houses of Parliament, and a bunch of really amazing food. I know this will be a place that I will be coming back to in the future.

Brick Lane Selfie 
I think that about sums up what I did last week. The start of this week was Buckingham Palace, the Houses of Parliament, and Alisa's birthday - all the things that I mentioned in my previous blog post.

I think my next post may be a review of Julius Caesar - mainly because it's a homework assignment, but why kill two birds with one stone and blog about it too? Peace out 'til next time, yo. God Bless. 

1 comment:

  1. Hi, Eleanor! You've got such a great eye for detail--I love your comments. You notice a whole range of stuff--from a meal to Big Ben--and it's great to see the city though your eyes. See you soon! ~Anne (p.s. thank you for your kind words)

    ReplyDelete