Wednesday 17 September 2014

First Train Home?

September 17, 2014

Studying abroad comes with its phases. The obvious first phase is the Honeymoon Phase. This is the phase where everyone is excited to explore new places, eat new foods, take lots of photos, and be typical tourist. From the pictures I've posted on Facebook, you could say I've experienced the Honeymoon Phase already, and it's only been two weeks.

The second phase that some, but not all, would feel is the "Homesick" Phase. Now, I wouldn't necessarily say that I'm homesick and want to go home, but I do miss home like crazy. I'd be lying if I said that there weren't times where I'd lie awake at night thinking about going home the next day. I am having a wonderful time here and I'm learning a lot, but I miss my family and my friends back in the States. (Thank God for Skype and FaceTime, right?) My current status is getting over a cold. I've bought cheap over-the-counter meds that dealt with cold relief, and it definitely is helping, but nothing beats being at home when you're sick.

Before I started writing this post, I had my headphones in and was listening to music. Because I'm feeling slightly homesick, I kept one specific song on repeat: "First Train Home" by Imogen Heap. Haven't heard of it? I dare you to go take a listen. You'll understand why I say "slightly homesick".

"First train home, I've got to get on it." -Imogen Heap, "First Train Home"

...And at the end of it all, you just have to be happy with yourself.

God bless.

No comments:

Post a Comment