Tuesday 16 September 2014

I'm Definitely Not in the U.S. Anymore...

September 16, 2014

I'm going on Week 3 of being in London. So far, I've seen so many incredible things here. I am eternally grateful that I have been blessed with the opportunity to study abroad. There are definitely still some places that I have yet to see though.

The flat that I am living in for this semester is actually fairly nice. It's about what I expected it to be. Basically, it's slightly nicer than a dorm, but a few steps down from an apartment. I love that a kitchen is included; just so I can actually cook homemade meals instead of going out every night/day. The one thing about the flat that didn't meet my expectations are the bathrooms. The bathrooms are a lot smaller than I thought. They are definitely still usable, but I guess living in America has raised my expectations of the bathrooms.

Classes are going well so far. Currently, I am taking Integrated Studies I (which is the same exact course as Theatre History I that I took last Fall, too). Hopefully, if it's a lot like Theatre History I, it will repeat certain themes, etc. I also get to take courses at Shakespeare's Globe Theatre (!). It's a lot of Shakespeare acting, voice, and movement (go figure). We even get to perform scenes from The Comedy of Errors, and actually on the Globe stage too! Global Drama is another course I'm taking, and it's interesting because we discuss some of the shows that we see here, and incorporate them into global situations. I also am taking a Blogging London course, which is partly why I am writing this blog to begin. I have two more courses that have not begun yet, but I am excited to see what they're about come November/December!

We've seen quite a few shows already, and they've all been pretty outstanding. The first show we saw was actually the second day after we arrived in London. It was The Comedy of Errors at The Globe. Of course, it was hilarious, though my feet and legs hurt after having to be in the standing section for two and a half hours. We saw Part 1 of Henry IV in Stratford, and that was slightly hard to understand in Act One, but it was really interesting to be able to see a Shakespeare play in Shakespeare's hometown. Little Revolution was another show that we saw, and that was actually pretty interesting. The actors had ear piece, in which they would listen to recordings of people, and that would be their "script". They had to speak exactly the way they heard the recording. The show itself was about the London riots in Hackney, but it slightly resembled what was happening in Ferguson, MO earlier this year. Recently, we got to see the first musical, Dogfight, which was incredibly amazing. I don't want to give too much of a storyline in case anyone that wants to see it hasn't seen it, but just go listen to the soundtrack. The story is pretty much right there. It's probably my new favorite musical now.

I explored the Tower of London, walked over the London Tower Bridge, attended a high Latin Mass at a beautiful Catholic Church, walked over the Millennium Bridge (a.k.a. a bridge that was seen in one of the Harry Potter movies), visited Platform 9 3/4 at King's Cross Station, went to my first English pub and ordered my first legal drink, and eaten a ton of delicious food that, I think, is better quality here than in the U.S.

I think that's about sums up everything that I've done so far. Tomorrow night, we're seeing another show, Friday night as well, and Saturday is our day to Stonehenge and Bath.

Keep checking back for more Afternoon Tea with Eleanor! :)

3 comments:

  1. I love that you incorporated all the elements of the trip so far! From classes, to adventures, to theatre, we’ve actually accomplished quite a bit in 3 weeks, and there’s so much more to come. We took Integrated together back at Millikin, so I’m really excited to share the experience of taking the class again in a new setting with you! We can put our brainpower together and really soak in information from these classes to become one mega-mind. We shall be experts in theatre history by the end of this…
    I can’t wait until we go see other things in London like Big Ben, parliament, and Buckingham Palace. I know it’ll be beautiful and we’re going to take a ton of pictures. I also can’t wait until our little trip to Dublin! I felt like such an adult planning a mini-vacation to another country with you. Hopefully everything goes as planned. If not, I guess it’ll make a great story one day.
    The shows we've seen have definitely been interesting and wonderful, and I’m totally with you on Dogfight, it was incredible. I think my tears at the end of the show proved that. I loved the space it was in, the set, the lights, the sound, the acting, the story line…everything! Except the tiny slip-ups in their American accents, which can certainly be excused. I want to see more productions of this amazing show, even though none of them could beat my first experience with it, and I’m sure you feel the same. But I will probably start listening to the soundtrack more often and maybe put some of the songs in my repertoire…..
    I’m excited to continue this journey with you, roomie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Alisa (minus the Dublin and roomie stuff!) I really like the fact that you've talked about basically everything so far! I'm reading your blog after posting mine, and I forgot to even talk about classes and everything! But who really cares about classes anyways right? (I'll add them next week... Lol!) I also really love that while I was reading your blog, I could envision what you were saying because I was with you and Alisa for most of this! I love that we have started to bond so much in only about 2 weeks! I mean I know that we were friends and what not before, but it's different now because we are actually hanging out now! I love it! And you better not go to Big Ben, Parliament, Buckingham Palace, or any place else for the matter with me! Do you hear me?!?! :) Except for Brixton. You and Alisa are allowed to go without me there. I was terrified. However, it actually reminded me a lot of the sketchy parts of Decatur. So I did feel like I was at home for a brief moment, and then fear once again took over. Besides that, I am glad that I am able to share this experience with you and Alisa. It is making me less homesick and I'm loving getting to know the both of you better! I am excited to see where the rest of this journey will take us, because lord knows I'm excited!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness Eleanor, I had no idea how excellent of a writer you are! Your blog is absolutely enthralling and enchanting, its like I'm here...oh wait I am :) I like how appreciative of Comedy Errors you were. I wish I enjoyed it that much, you seem like you caught most of the jokes and i was just like what?lol And you must go to Buckingham Palace, it's absolutely gorgeous. I don't know about paying all that money to see the inside though, it cost about 18.5 pounds but hey it might be nice. I found myself just enjoying the gate and taking pictures from there. There is also a lovely park across the street, its ironically called Queen's Park. It is huge, its like Fairview on steroids! It actually reminds me of the park from 101 Dalmations....which now that I think about it, I'm not sure if that was set in London. The entire area is actually to die for, very posh and elegant. But as for the home things, I quite enjoy living here. I think its way better than living at Millikin, much more free and relaxing. The only thing here is buying the food, woof, who knew it would be so expensive. Its like my money got cut in half just by crossing the ocean. The trick now is having a solid budget that will get me through, you seem to be doing just fine thougjh. This is going to be an amazing adventure! Anyways your blog is fabulous.

    ReplyDelete