Tuesday 23 September 2014

Royal Livin'

September 23, 2014

Yesterday, I finally got to be a tourist and explore Buckingham Palace, and the Houses of Parliament.  It's been three weeks, and I hadn't seen those sights yet. I mean, come on, you just have to see Buckingham Palace and Parliament when you come to London. Like, it should be a law that you must see.

Buckingham Palace is beautiful and, for a student, it was pretty reasonable for a ticket. The Queen is only absent until September 28, and tours are only allowed while she is out. However, the inside of the Palace is incredibly breathtaking. All the rooms are unique in their own ways - each design detail is different, but beautifully done. There are portraits on the walls of past rulers of the Royal families. I thought it was pretty interesting to see that as the portraits progressed into the twentieth and twenty-first centuries, they became actual photographs. It was unfortunate that I couldn't take pictures, but I completely understand the reasoning. I think one of my favorite rooms was the Royal Childhood room because inside was all the toys, chairs, clothes, bassinets, etc. that were used by the children of the Royal families. There was even a birth announcement of the adorable Prince George! All of the rooms were incredible, though. It was just so amazing to see that even the new Royal family of William and Kate were incorporated in Buckingham Palace. I mean, that's pretty obvious, but it was still cool. The outside of the Palace was beautiful. The landscaping was so green and very well kept. I didn't get to see a changing of the guards because that only happens when the Queen is in. I will have to go back when she's in to experience that sight.

Standing in front of the gates to Buckingham Palace.
The next sight I saw yesterday was the Houses of Parliament, which means... Yes! I finally saw Big Ben! Oh my goodness... Big Ben is so beautiful. Parliament was actually really beautiful too, and huge. I tried to get a picture of me and Big Ben, but I feel like Big Ben just steals the attention away. As it should. This landmark is incredible. I also love that the London Eye (the largest ferris wheel) is literally right across the street from the Houses of Parliament. And right across from the Houses of Parliament, on the opposite? Westminster Abbey! Every sight that I saw yesterday was simply incredible, and I don't care how much I looked like a tourist because every second was worth it.

Big Ben with the London Eye in the background.
To finish out the night, it was my friend (& roommate), Alisa's 22nd birthday, so us and a couple other girls went out for a lovely dinner at a wonderful French restaurant nearby. The food was outstanding. I had amazing French onion soup, salmon, and tiramisu - all part of a really nice 3-course meal deal for 12.50 pounds! 

Yesterday was spectacular, and definitely worth everything! Today will be a long day, since we're seeing Julius Caesar at The Globe tonight. Oh, and we have to stand... for 2 hours and 45 minutes. It'll be a great show, but I don't know if I can stand for that long. This is be a fun time. Peace out 'til my next post! 

1 comment:

  1. Girl, I know. Three weeks without seeing some of the biggest tourist sites in London should be a sin. But hey! We finally got around to it! You’re right, the tour of Buckingham Palace was extraordinary. The state rooms were so beautiful, I was taken aback. They were so grand and wonderful, I couldn’t help but stare at every detail.
    Aw thanks for incorporating my birthday into this post!! You and the other girls made it a really good time. And that French food was amazing. No lie. But next time, wherever we go for whatever reason, we have to check if a reservation is needed.
    So “Julius Caesar” ended up being amazing, yeah? I know we had to stand again, which sucked for our feet and backs, but at the same time, what a cool experience we had tonight! We were right in the action. I didn’t expect the actors to be right by us yelling their lines, it was really cool. And the way the actors on stage addressed us as audience members was pretty captivating. I really enjoyed the performance, I hope you did too! And think about this: this was the last time we would be standing for a Shakespeare performance. Our next show at the Globe is in the Jacobean theatre and obviously we won’t be standing for that.
    I’m wondering what other places you want to see in or around London that are tourist-y? I definitely want to go on that Beatles tour, I think you did too. Besides that, I’m running out of known locations! But we definitely have SO much more food to try in London. I’m still looking forward to having that Indian food again. Until next time!

    ReplyDelete