Wednesday 22 October 2014

How Do I Spend Fall Break in London?

I decided to stay in London for Fall Break. Honestly, I wanted to save my money for the trips I’m taking in November, but I also decided that some “me time” would be nice, too. Of course, I spent time during the day with Tess and Tyler, too. This post will most likely be a long one as I write about all the things I did over break. If you can, try to bear with me. 

Day 1 (10/16) – I woke up at 4:15AM, to help Alisa out for her trip to Paris. I made sure she had everything she needed, and that she found the Eurostar with no problems. On my way back to the flat, I couldn’t resist any longer, so I stopped by a Starbucks and bought a Pumpkin Spice Latte. (I know, why Starbucks? It was the first day of fall break). By this point, it was about 7AM, and I still had the whole day ahead of me. Because of that latte, I didn’t bother going back to sleep when I got to the flat.

Around 1PM, Tess, Tyler, and I decided to get out of the flat for a while, and headed to the Science Museum (which we had started a few weeks ago, but never got to finish). The Science Museum was really interesting. There were so many different floors with lots of different things to see. Honestly, you know you’re a child at heart when one of the best moments was playing with kid activities in the Science Museum (Ha!). After the Science Museum, we took a walk (and pictures!) by the Prince Albert Memorial and Royal Albert Hall. I finally got my cheesy, stereotypical picture of me standing in a red London phone booth, too!

I finally got my stereotypical London phone booth picture! 
After that, we came back to the flat to regenerate for a few minutes. Then we decide to explore a store called Primark (which, to me, was something like a JC Penny’s in the U.S.). I bought a pair of cheap skinny jeans and nylon footy socks to wear with flats. Primark was such an awesome store, and I wouldn’t mind going back there.

When we finished at Primark, we decided it was time for dinner. Tess’ sister had told her to try a bar called Belushi’s, and that’s where we decided to eat. It wasn’t dirt cheap, but it wasn’t extremely expensive either. All three of us decided on splitting some appetizers because it was a better budget route to go, but the food was really amazing!

After dinner, I needed to go grocery shopping because I realized I had almost no food for the entire fall break. We made a run to Tesco for all of that fun stuff, and then we were in for the night.

That, in a nutshell, concludes day one of fall break.

Day 2 (10/17) – Today was a lazy day. I woke up around 8AM (I’m not exactly why I woke up so early, but I did). I started the morning off just getting starting and getting caught up on TV shows. I got to have a short, but wonderful Skype call with my friend, Rachel, from back in the States, too! It was lovely to catch up with her, and tell her what all I’ve done here.

In the afternoon, Tess knocked on my door and asked me if I’d like to talk a walk about Westminster with her and Tyler. I decided that I should get out of the flat for a little while, so I agreed. It ended up just being Tess and I. Westminster is such a beautiful area – I got to see Big Ben and the Houses of Parliament again, along with the London Eye. We just kept walking along Westminster, until we saw a food truck that was selling ten mini donuts for just £2! We agreed that it was such a good deal. It turns out, we were right; the donuts were so good! Anyways, we continued walking along Westminster until we reached a familiar location… Blackfriars! This is the tube stop that we get off to go to the Globe every Tuesday and Thursday. I had no clue that Westminster led right to Blackfriars!

Taking a walk along Westminster. Beautiful!
We took Blackfriars back to Earl’s Court, and that concluded day two of fall break.

Day 3 (10/18) – This morning, Tess and I decided to go to the Brixton Market. Brixton is the place where we usually buy all of our produce, and now, Ramen. This Brixton trip was a quick one, since we didn’t seem to need very much there. We came back, made lunch, and then headed off to a museum.

Tess, Tyler, and I headed off the Museum of London. The museum had just opened a Sherlock Holmes exhibit (which Tess found very, very exciting). I was extremely intrigued by this Sherlock exhibit. Now I have a huge inclination to go home and read some of the Sherlock Holmes novels. It was upsetting that no photography was allowed, but we have our memories of the exhibit. Then we toured the rest of the Museum of London. This was really interesting, because there were so many different facts about London. It dated back all the way to when the Roman Empire was in London to the twenty-first century of today.

Since photography wasn't allowed in the exhibit, this is the best I could get. It was awesome! 
After the museum, we all headed back to the flat, made dinner, and were in for the night. I got to Skype my friend, Claire, from back home. It was lovely because I’ve never gotten to Skype call her before. I also decided to give my parents a call via FaceTime. It was nice to talk to people back and catch up.

That concludes day three of fall break. Two more days left.

Day 4 (10/19) – I really didn’t do much on Sunday. This was my “I’m going to start homework” day, and that’s just what I did. I began reading ‘Tis Pity She’s a Whore, which we had to read for our classes at the Globe.

I guess the only big adventure I had was that I got to meet up with an old friend from high school, Shelby. She is studying abroad in Ireland this semester, and came to London as a weekend trip with a few friends. We went to this cute little café in Earl’s Court called Café du Coin. It was reasonably priced, and quite delicious. It was very nice getting to catch up, and hear all about her adventures this weekend, and in Ireland.

Meeting up with Shelby - high school studies abroad!
Day 5 (10/20) – Monday was the final day of break, and I really didn’t do anything. I ran lines with Tess and Tyler for Comedy of Errors, and finished reading ‘Tis Pity She’s a Whore.

I waited up for Alisa and Jaime to get home, to welcome them and let them into the flat. It was about 4AM, but I didn’t mind. My break was coming to end.

Goodness, this was a long post, but I tried to incorporate everything I did during fall break. I hope I didn’t bore you too much! I promise my next post won’t be so tedious and long.

No comments:

Post a Comment