Thursday 16 October 2014

My London Group of Friends.

I’m going to be brutally honest – I came to London extremely nervous. Mostly because it was a new city that I’ve never been to, and just figuring out everything on my own was scary. The flight itself was a new experience. Except for when I came over from Korea as a baby, I hadn’t ever flown alone. I’ll admit it; I feel like most of my life, I’ve been spoiled, but my parents always tell me that I have enough common sense to figure out things for myself too. Now is my chance to prove them right.

The other reason why I was so nervous coming to London was because there were less than a handful of people that I knew well. I’ve always been a shy and introverted person, but it’s never hard for me to make friends. However, it takes me a while to create those friendships. I find it difficult to open up to other people until I know them better, but then again that’s hard to get to know a person if you can’t open up to them. Getting back on topic, I was scared that I wouldn’t create any friendships during my semester in London.

Boy, was I wrong.

First, there’s Alisa. Now, I knew Alisa going into this trip. I mean, we put each other down to be roommates, so we had to have known each other. Since she’s a transfer student, I only just met her last fall. However, I’m glad that I get the chance to get to know her even better this semester by being her roommate, and travel buddy. Hopefully, I don’t drive her too crazy come December! Oh, Alisa – if you’re reading this, hopefully I’m not too annoying as a roommate! And I apologize if I am. Don’t be afraid to call me out on it!


Next, there’s Tess. So I was kind of excited when I realized Tess was going to London this semester. Here’s the thing: I met Tess my very first day when I moved into Hessler Hall at Millikin. She lived across the hall from me! I remember her knocking on my door that day, and then her, my freshman roommate, and I took a walk around Millikin getting to know each other. Unfortunately, as the year went on, we slid into our own groups of friends. Now, I’m glad that I get to reconnect with her, and pick up where we left off! Also the fact that she’s a LV Scholar, like me, makes it even better! Tess – if you read this, I’m glad that we’re reconnecting again, and that I get to spend a semester in London with you!



Last, but certainly not least, there’s Emily. Before London, I didn’t know this girl at all, but I’m glad that I do now. Tess and Emily are best friends and roommates here in London, so I figured that I ought to get to know her. I feel at times we have about the same personality because there will be certain things she says or does that makes me say, “I do the same thing!” I’ve never met someone with the about the same personality as me before, so as soon as I found out what she was like, I was even more excited to get to know her. I’m hoping by the end of the semester, we’ll know each other pretty well. Emily – if you read this, I’m so happy that I knew Tess so I could get to know you!


“Every new friend is a new adventure… the start of more memories.” –Patrick Lindsay

I feel better and more confident about being in London now that I know I have a small group of friends to hang out with here. I miss my best friends back in the States right now more than anything, and these girls will never replace them, but at least I know that I have the ability to hold friendships for as long as I possibly can. Hopefully, the friends I make during my semester in London will carry back to the States, where I can also pick right back up with my best friends too.

I apologize that this blog post may have been sappy and cliché, but I felt it in my heart to send out messages to the group of friends I’ve made here in London. They’re too awesome to not blog about right now.


No comments:

Post a Comment